10 Reasons Kids are Especially at Risk in Traffic Situations
Riding on busier streets demands greater skills to avoid collisions. If children develop safe cycling skills and learn to follow the rules of the road, many collisions can be avoided. Some accidents, however, happen through no fault of the cyclist, so children must be taught to ride defensively and to wear bicycle helmets.
Kids are particularly vulnerable because they :
1. expect others to look out for them
2. have no understanding of complicated traffic situations
3. overestimate their knowledge and physical strength
4. focus on one thought at a time.
5. assume that if they can see someone, they can also be seen.
6. think vehicles can stop instantly.
7. have difficulty estimating the speed a vehicle is traveling.
8. have a field of vision one third narrower than adults have.
9. have difficulty determining the direction of sounds.
10. do not have the experience or judgement needed to ride at night.
At FATWHEELS, we take bicycle safety very seriously. Our adaptive training wheel kits are used in hospitals, school settings and by riders of all ages and abilities all across North America. We use only the highest quality materials for our products and back them up with 100% confidence.
Until next time,